Hepatitis is an inflammation of the liver tissue. Hepatitis may be temporary (acute) or long term (chronic) depending on whether it lasts for less than or more than six months.
There are five main types of viral hepatitis: type A, B, C, D, and E. Hepatitis A and E are mainly spread by contaminated food and water. Hepatitis B is mainly sexually transmitted, but may also be passed from mother to child during pregnancy or childbirth. While both hepatitis B and hepatitis C are commonly spread through infected blood such as may occur during needle sharing or by intravenous drug users. Hepatitis D can only infect people already infected with hepatitis B.
Here are ten things to know about viral Hepatitis.
1. Viral hepatitis B and C are major health challenges.
2. Viral hepatitis B and C are root causes of liver cancer.
3. Timely testing and treatment of viral hepatitis B and C can save lives
4. Viral hepatitis causes debilitating diseases and also places a huge economic burden on families.
5. Viral hepatitis has become a major killer due to a lack of global attention.
6. Over the past 15 years, more and more people have been dying of viral hepatitis.
7. At the same time, people are becoming newly infected with hepatitis.
8. Hepatitis attacks the most vulnerable.
9. Hepatitis can be prevented, diagnosed, treated and even cured.
10. You can help eliminate hepatitis